Fatal Fire Claims Young Caribou Man’s Life [UPDATE]
** [UPDATE] - The State Fire Marshal’s Office says yesterday’s fatal fire in Caribou was started on a closet shelf in a bedroom. Investigators say the fire was set by 18-year-old Jordan McEwen, who died in the blaze that destroyed his family’s mobilehome on Dow Siding Road. After the fire broke out, McEwen called family members to report the fire. The teen also was suspected of setting fire to an apartment house in November, where he was living at the time in Caribou.
An 18-year-old man is dead following a Monday morning fire in Caribou.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office says 18-year-old Jordan McEwen of Caribou died Monday morning when fire swept his home at 100 Dow Siding Road, near the Caribou Inn & Convention Center.
His body was found by firefighters in a bedroom of the mobile home shortly after 10 a.m.
McEwen had been living with relatives at the home since November, after the apartment house in Caribou he formerly lived in was damaged by fire.
Fire Marshals say he was suspected of setting the fire in November and that he likely set this morning’s fire, as well.
His mother and brother also lived in the mobile home and both were not at home at the time of today’s fire.
Officials says McEwen died from smoke inhalation.