Fire Investigators say last week’s fire that destroyed a mobile home in Rockport was caused by a chair catching fire that was too close to the wood stove.

Fireman extinguishes a fire in an old wooden house

64 year old Bruce Fales was interviewed by investigators last weekend in his hospital room at Maine Medical Center . He told them he was asleep at the time of the fire and escaped out a bedroom window, crawling down his driveway where he was found.  Fales is recovering from smoke inhalation and burns.

The home on Vinal Street did not have a working smoke detector. Fales was initially taken to PenBay Medical Center in Rockport and later transferred to Maine Medical. He was found outside the burning mobile home alongside his driveway.  He lived there alone. The fire was reported last Tuesday about 3:30 am and the mobile home was flattened.

More From