Limestone Firefighter Injured in Propane Explosion
A volunteer firefighter was taken to the hospital after he was injured in a propane tank explosion Thursday afternoon on Main Street in Limestone.
The Limestone Fire Department was called to a fire in a wooded area on private property around 12:30 p.m. When crews arrived, they were told that there were propane tanks nearby. In the course of battling the blaze, one of the tanks exploded.
Firefighter Scott Patten was injured in the blast and was taken to Cary Medical Center in Caribou. Limestone Fire Chief Jon Poitras told WAGM-TV that Patten was "alert and well and conscious at the time." There were no other injuries reported.
The Caribou and Fort Fairfield Fire Departments, the Maine Forest Service, Crown Ambulance and the State Fire Marshall's Office were also on the scene Thursday.
The fire remains under investigation.