Not a bad Saturday night in Kentucky for the UMaine football team. A $300,000 check and a win, 31-28, over FBS Western Kentucky University.

It's only the third FBS win in program history for the Black Bears (Miss St, UMass).

But perhaps this one is most meaningful because of how it happened.

On the first play from scrimmage in the game, WKU quarterback Drew Eckels tossed a 66-yard touchdown pass to Lucky Jackson for a 7-0 lead.

Less than two minutes later, UMaine QB Chris Ferguson threw an interception and it was returned for a TD. It's 14-0 WKU.

Moments later, another Eckels TD pass made it 21-0 and the rout was on five minutes into the game.

But hold on.

The Black Bears regrouped and in the second quarter Ferguson threw two touchdowns passes - one to Ramon Jefferson and one to Micah Wright to make the score 21-14 at halftime.

Early in the third quarter, Maine's defense got a sack/fumble forced by Sterling Sheffield and a 50-yard scoop and score by Deshawn Stevens to tie the game at 21-21.

Late in the quarter, the Black Bears made the incredible comeback complete by taking the lead on a Ferguson to Wright 15-yard TD pass. Maine leads 28-21.

Halfway through the fourth quarter, the winning points turned out to be off the foot off kicker Kenny Doak. A 37-yard field goal put the Bears up 31-21.

Turns out those three points were needed.

WKU scored on a 75-yard pass play to get within three points.

But the Hilltoppers could never get closer.

A last second WKU field goal was blocked and the Black Bears celebrated a night to remember in Kentucky.

UMaine moves to 2-0 and after a bye week the Bears play another FBS game vs Central Michigan in two weeks.

NOTES: WKU outgained UMaine in total offense 389-324 but the Hilltoppers could gain only 42 on the ground...QB Chris Ferguson was 11-for-28, 185 yards, 3 TDs and 1 interception...Maine's leading rusher was Joe Fitzpatrick with 21 carries for 82 yards...Sterling Sheffield was the leading tackler with 12, including one sack.

More From