Spinal Tap’s Derek Smalls Recruits All-Star Lineup for ‘Smalls Change’ Album
When you've reached the heights of Spinal Tap, you've got some clout in the industry. And a who's who of rock players are joining Spinal Tap bassist Derek Smalls (aka Harry Shearer) for the new album Smalls Change.
There have been hints of something afoot with Smalls dating back to last May when drum legends Chad Smith, Dave Grohl and Jim Keltner were hanging out at EastWest Studio, with Smith teasing Smalls was involved as well. In the time since, it was revealed that Smalls had a guest list that included Steely Dan's Donald Fagen, Peter Frampton and Steve Vai. Now we finally have a full album announcement with Small Changes (Meditations Upon Ageing) due April 13 via Twanky Records / BMG.
The musician will also be heading out on the "Lukewarm Water Live: An Adventure in Loud Music" trek starting April 14 in New Orleans. One quick look at the track listing and you'll notice frequent usage of the Hungarian Studio Orchestra. Smalls is planning to incorporate local orchestras during a number of stops, including those June 29 in Atlanta and a still to be determined date with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. Stay tuned for a tour announcement.
While Grohl was palling around with Smith and Keltner in the tweet from last year, the Foo Fighters leader doesn't appear on the newly released track listing. However, his Foo Fighters bandmate Taylor Hawkins does, joining Bon Jovi guitarist Phil X on the track "Butt Call." Other guests include Steve Lukather, Judith Owen, Danny Kortchmar, Russ Kunkel, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Larry Carlton, Donald Fagen, Peter Frampton, Waddy Wachtel, Todd Sucherman, Paul Shaffer, David Crosby, Dweezil Zappa, Steve Vai, Greg Bissonette, Jane Lynch, Richard Thompson, Michael League, Joe Satriani and Rick Wakeman.
As the title might suggest, Small Changes (Meditations Upon Ageing) does address the passing of time. "[It's] halfway between 'rage against the dying of the light' and trying to find the light," says the musician. Check out the video for the title track above and look at the track listing (complete with special guests) listed below.
Derek Smalls, Smalls Change Track Listing:
1. Openture - Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
2. Rock 'N' Roll Transplant - Derek with Steve Lukather (Toto), drum legends Jim Keltner (George Harrison) and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
3. Butt Call - Derek with Phil X (Bon Jovi) and Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters)
4. Smalls Change - Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra, Judith Owen (vocals) Danny Kortchmar (Don Henley) and Russ Kunkel (James Taylor)
5. Memo to Willie - Derek with Donald Fagen, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter and Larry Carlton (Steely Dan) and The Snarky Puppy Horns
6. It Don't Get Old - Derek with Peter Frampton and Waddy Wachtel (Keith Richards).
7. Complete Faith - Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
8. Faith No More - Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra and Todd Sucherman (Styx)
9. Gimme Some (More) Money - Derek with Paul Shaffer, Waddy Wachtel and David Crosby
10. MRI - Derek with Dweezil Zappa
11. Hell Toupee - Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
12. Gummin the Gash - Derek with Steve Vai, Gregg Bissonette and Jane Lynch
13. She Puts the Bitch in Obituary - Derek with Richard Thompson and Jane Lynch
14. When Men Did Rock - Derek with Michael League, Joe Satriani, Rick Wakeman and The Hungarian Studio Orchestra