Two Washburn residents are homeless after a fire damaged their home overnight.

Facebook

According to Washburn Fire Chief Troy Heald,  Washburn Fire & Rescue responded to a structure fire at 1191 Main Street at about 3:35 Saturday morning.

The 2-story home is situated just two houses down from White's Service Station in Washburn. Neighbors said the homeowner was alone at the time and spotted the flames in the basement, then ran back upstairs to rescue his cat.

Washburn fire crews battled the blaze for about 2 hours with help from the Caribou and Mapleton Fire Departments.  Crown Ambulance also responded and transported the man to the hospital with minor smoke inhalation.

The blaze heavily damaged the basement and kitchen area but the rest of the home also sustained smoke and water damage, Heald said.  The home was insured.

The fire displaced two people, a man in his early-40’s and his16-year-old daughter, who was staying elsewhere for the night.

No word yet on the cause of the blaze.

Anyone wishing to offer assistance should contact the Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross or the Washburn Town Office.