A family in northern Carleton County was left homeless after a fire ripped through their home Monday afternoon.

Florenceville-Bristol Fire Department/ Facebook

The Florenceville-Bristol Fire Department responded to call around 1:30 p.m. on the Hunter Road in Oakland. Firefighters from Hartland, Centreville and Bath were also called in to help battle the blaze.

The fire apparently started in the garage and spread to the attached single-storey home. The family made it out safely with no injuries. Firefighters were able to rescue a cat from the burning building.

Florenceville-Bristol Fire Chief Andrew Cougle told the Bugle-Observer that the home was a complete loss. No word yet on the cause of the fire.