Fumes From Prentiss Fire Send Several to Hospital [UPDATE]
A fire at a camp in Prentiss Township in northern Penobscot County late Saturday night sent several responders to the hospital for treatment.
Firefighters responded to the fire at a camp on Tucker Ridge Road in Prentiss shortly before midnight. Maine State Police and EMS personnel were also called to the scene.
At least 8 firefighters and one state trooper were taken to the hospital after becoming ill from the fumes, according to an early report by WABI-TV.
The Maine Drug Enforcement Agency was called to investigate as there was a suspicion that the fire could be related to a meth lab, the report said.
Reports early Sunday indicated that five firefighters and a state trooper were taken to Penobscot Valley Hospital in Lincoln after feeling ill from exposure to fumes from the burning building. Others were taken by ambulance to Millinocket Regional Hospital.
Sgt. Joel Davis of the Maine State Fire Marshal's office told WCSH-TV Sunday afternoon that the fire was very smoky and filled with what some thought were "toxic" fumes. Davis said all people sent to hospitals have been treated and released and that there were no serious injuries.
The fire appears to have started in the kitchen.
An earlier version of this story cited an unconfirmed report that one firefighter was in critical condition. That information was incorrect. We apologize for the confusion this may have caused.