Family Loses Home in Early Morning Fire in Western New Brunswick
A family of four in Upper Hainesville, New Brunswick escaped from their burning home after they were awakened by a fire early Thursday morning.
The blaze broke out around 3:30 a.m. at a single-storey home on Route 104, not far from the Crabbe Mountain Ski area.
Millville Fire Chief Justin McGuigan said a boy awoke to the sound of a smoke alarm and alerted his family. The two adults and two children made it out with just the clothes they were wearing. They were also able to save their two pets from the blaze.
About 30 firefighters worked for several hours to extinguish the fire in temperatures near -18C. The Millville Fire Department received mutual aid from the Nackawic, Keswick Valley and Keswick Ridge Fire Departments. The last crew left the site after 11 a.m. Thursday.
Chief McGuigan said it appears the fire was caused by an electrical issue in the attic above the kitchen.
The Hainesville family lost all of their belongings. If you can help them in any way, please contact the Millville Fire Department.
The Canadian Red Cross has provided emergency aid to the family while they await an assessment from insurance adjusters.
Two People Escape House Fire in Pembroke, N.B.