Early Morning Grease Fire Destroys Monticello Log Home
A log home in Monticello was destroyed by a grease fire in the early morning hours on Friday.
According to the Monticello Fire Department, the structure fire was reported on the Curtis Road after the home owner had started cooking and had fallen asleep. Bacon grease ignited on the stove, catching the kitchen on fire.
The owner was saved by his dog who kept jumping on him and barking. Both escaped the burning home and retreated to a nearby home to call for help.
Due to the remote location of the log home, and time it took for crews to respond, the home is said to be a total loss.
The homeowner was insured.
Monticello Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Littleton Fire Department.