Caribou Man Seriously Injured in Apartment House Fire
A Caribou man was hospitalized with serious burns after a grease fire broke out in his apartment Sunday night.
The blaze was reported at around 9 p.m. at an apartment house on 16 Sincock Street, according to Gregg Rideout of the Caribou Fire Department. Heavy smoke and flames were coming out of a second story window when firefighters arrived.
The tenant, Myron Ouellette, suffered second and third-degree burns to his chest and arms. Ouelette was taken by Caribou Ambulance to Cary Medical Center and then transported via 'Fresh Air' to a Portland hospital. The other tenants in the building made it out safely.
South Main Street in Caribou was closed while about two dozen firefighters worked until after midnight to extinguish the fire. Caribou received mutual aid from the Presque Isle and Washburn Fire Departments. Crews remained on site until around 1:00 a.m. Monday.
Caribou Fire Department said French fries cooking on the stove in the kitchen apparently triggered the blaze. There was considerable damage throughout the apartment house. It's has not yet been determined whether or not the building can be salvaged.