Beware of Utility Scams Around the Holidays
As shoppers and small-business owners carefully plan their budgets and enjoy time with their loved ones this holiday season, Emera Maine wants to ensure no one unwillingly pays for a scammers’ gifts.
In recent days, Emera Maine customers have been targeted by scammers claiming to be representing the utility. Often these calls:
- Demand immediate payment.
- Threaten immediate disconnection.
- Require payment be made by a prepaid debit card, Green Dot card, or other non-refundable form of payment.
- Appear as Emera Maine on caller ID.
Customers will never receive a call from an Emera Maine representative demanding immediate payment with the threat of disconnection. We will also never require payment by a prepaid debit card. If a customer is facing disconnection they are notified by mail, may receive a notification by automated or personal call, and are encouraged to contact us to work out an arrangement. We make every effort to work with our customers. Disconnection is a last resort.
To safeguard yourself against scams, keep the following things in mind if you receive a call that is unexpected or sounds suspicious:
- Never give out credit card or other payment information over the phone unless you’ve initiated the call.
- End suspicious calls and contact our Customer Contact Center at (207) 973-2000 or 1-855-EMERA-11 to ensure you are speaking with an Emera Maine representative.
- If you are contacted by an Emera Maine representative, they will ask for the primary account holder by name and will know your account and billing information.
If you have any questions about your account status, balance, payment options, or anything else about your service, please contact our Customer Contact Center. If you have fallen victim to the scam and paid the fraudulent caller, we encourage you to report the scam to local law enforcement as well as the Attorney General’s office. The AG may be reached toll free at 1-800-436-2131.
This information was submitted to us as part of a press release. If you would like to share your community news or event with our audience, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.