Best Places To Bike In Maine
You'll soon be seeing bicycles on the roads here in central Maine. Maine sure does have many peaceful and safe places to enjoy biking. Travel and Leisure Magazine has complied a list of the best places to bike in Maine.
1. Acadia National Park: It features 45 miles of car-free, crushed stone carriage roads along Mount Desert Island. Take in the ocean, lakes and ascending mountain slopes. Plenty of bikes rentals are also available.
2. Down East Sunrise Trail: Eastern Maine is the first in the nation to see the sunrise and this picturesque trail features 85 miles through woods, hills, charming towns and the salt marshes or Down East Maine. You are also likely to see eagles and ospreys.
3. Aroostook Valley Trail: An old railway that hauled potatoes to market was converted in the 1990's into a 28 mile crushed stone pathway in between Presque Isle and New Sweden. The path is also used by ATV's and Moose!
4. Eastern Trail: This is a 65-mile stretch of biking in southern Maine from Kittery to Bug Light in South Portland. The path is still a work in progress and will be mostly off-road when completed.
5. Bradbury Mountain State Park: This is perfect for mountain biking. the state park in Pownal features a single-track loops over and around a 485-foot hill with an exposed rock summit.